HIGH FLYING TRAPEZE
It's a thrill of a lifetime to fly through the air on the flying trapeze! Cayuga's Flying Trapeze Program operates on a daily basis and all campers can participate. The Flying Trapeze & its related activities (circus arts, trapeze performances, etc.) bring a high level of excitement to your summer camp experience. This is an awesome activity - it's exciting, thrilling, and unforgettable!
The Flying Trapeze Activity is a progressive program that's categorized into achievement levels. So, the quicker you learn the skills at each level, the faster you'll move ahead in the program. Instruction is given on a one-on-one basis and is geared to your physical abilities. You'll learn to deal with both physical and mental challenges, and at the same time, enjoy the excitement of "flying through the air". In a matter of days, you can be performing dazzling routines with flawless flying flare! If you're interested in trapeze competition, you can join the Flying Trapeze Team and compete against other campers from nearby camps. Cayuga's Trapeze Team also performs in the Annual Flying Trapeze Show in front of the entire camp population. It's "the greatest show" in camp!
We have listed below the High Flying Trapeze skill exercises in the order you'll learn them:
* Climbing the ladder, stepping out and standing on the pedestal, grasping the bar, leaving the pedestal, swinging, releasing the bar, landing in the net, and getting out of the net.
* Practicing knee hangs, bird's nests, and splits on the "low" trapeze and afterwards doing the same on the "high" flying trapeze.
* Leaving the pedestal without assistance, pumping while swinging & maintaining proper form, and returning to the pedestal.
* Flying to the catcher in a knee hang, bird's nest, and/or split position, releasing the fly bar without being prompted, and grabbing hold of the catcher.
* Flying to the catcher using a variety of other techniques, such as "penny drop", inverted leg, "over the bar", and "fly aways".
* Learning how to be a catcher.
The Flying Trapeze Program is headed-up by Cayuga's Flying Trapeze Director who is a qualified professional and trained circus performer with experience in operating an instructional trapeze program for children. The Trapeze Staff is comprised of 5 instructors who provide instruction under the guidance of the Flying Trapeze Director. The instructors are assigned to 5 positions: The Low Practice Bar Spotter, The Ladder Spotter, The Pedestal Spotter, The Pedestal Assistant, and The Ground Spotter. All trapeze instructors are trained, evaluated, and qualified by our Flying Trapeze Director.
FACILITIES & SAFETY
In addition to the "high" flying trapeze rig, the Flying Trapeze Program utilizes 2 single rigs. One single rig has a "low" trapeze bar which is ideal for first-timers. The other single rig is utilized primarily for circus acts including the Spanish Web, Silk, and Lyras. Each camper wears a harness which is attached to a safety line held by an instructor on the ground. Safety nets, safety lines, harnesses, trained spotters, and experienced instructors provide the safe nurturing environment needed to promote self-confidence and self-esteem.